St. David’s Day Banquet – 4th March 2017
The St. David’s Society of Minnesota will celebrate the work of Mereddyd Evans at the Annual Banquet on March 4th, the first Saturday of the month. We gather this year again at the Ramada Plaza Minneapolis (1330 Industrial Blvd. N.E. 55413 – www.RamadaPlazaMpls.com).
Registration Form & Logistics
2017 Banquet Registration form. Please send forms to Ilene by 24 February. The $28 registration fee includes adult lunch options – and there is a $10 chicken fingers option for children 10 or younger.
We open the doors for informal gathering/signing in from 11 am.
The program opens with a welcome and our lunch table conversations at noon, and is followed by a program featuring Mereddyd Evans – in words, images, songs. We wrap up at 3 pm.
Here’s a peak at the food line up, with all meals including a Baby Arugula salad, and a Lemon Berry Shortcake: Season Ravioli (vegetarian); Walleye – Seared/paremesan-crusted walleye with lemon sauce, wild rice; or Grilled Flank Steak with charred tomato relish, baby red potatoes.
Winter Tea – 10 December
You are an important part of this celebration: Please bring a story – poignant, humorous, silly, mischievous, or somber- to share with the group about Wales or your Welsh connection. And contributions to the tea table – sweet or savory treats – are always heartily welcomed!
Dec. 10, 2–4 p.m.
University Lutheran Church of Hope
601 13th Ave. SE, Mpls., 55414
We’ll gather on the main floor, with entry via the parking lot doorway
Directions via Google Map
November & December Events
Download the November News Sheet for a handy reference to upcoming events, complete with day, date, location, and timing details.
- 20 November: Check out information about our next Pub Gathering.. We meet on the 3rd Sunday of each month from 4-6 pm at Merlins Rest Pub.
- 3 December. The Well-Read Dragons meet to discuss The Bank Manager and the Holy Grail: Travelers to the Wilder Reaches of Wales by Byron Rogers. In this book of essays, Rogers (who is Welsh) orbits in an unpredictable, eccentric fashion as a laureate of the quietly uncanny, the genteelly bizarre, the politely weird. The title? For a while the Holy Grail was deposited in a vault in the Aberystwyth branch of Lloyd’s Bank. Rogers has more to tell, of course.
- 10 December. Mark your calendars for the Winter Celebration Tea, from 2-4 pm at University Lutheran Church of Hope on the edge of Dinkytown in Minneapolis.
The Fall Newsletter features information about these events, and includes winning images the July photo contest.
A Welsh County Fair
Annual Picnic was held on 30 July
Our Annual Picnic, cast as a Welsh County Fair, will be at the Rosebrook Park building in Roseville, just off Fairview Avenue near Rosedale Center. As always, friends and family members invited!
Please bring a main or side dish to share. We will provide lemonade and iced tea, plates and silverware.
The park’s information page includes a Google map to help with charting your own specific navigation details.
We’ll gather from 11:30 to noon, eat lunch beginning at noon (with a bit of taking care of business in the mix), and then venture into Welsh Country Fair activities – games, photo contest, raffle; some inside the building and some outdoors – to wrap the afternoon. The full run time will be 11:30 until 2 pm, when we’ll need to move into clean up mode in order to leave the shelter by 2:30 for its next users.
Picnic Related Activity – Please Share Your Photographs
As part of building our online presence via Facebook and Society webpage, we’re putting out a call for photographs that showcase the places and people of Wales and Minnesota, as well as Welsh events wherever they take place. To this end, we’re inviting St. David’s Society members and friends to share their photos with us. We’ll display the images at the Welsh County Fair. With your votes, we’ll select 10 photos to the first ones featured on our website, and with the feedback of two judges, we’ll select two photos for a special award.
These are the basic details:
- Send an image – or multiple images – that you’re happy to have us post on the Facebook and web pages to email@example.com; these might be digital image files, links photos you’ve placed elsewhere, or a PDF including your scanned photo(s).
- Let us know that you’ll bring your photo or photographs to the Annual meeting; again, send this email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions and Queries can also be sent to email@example.com. Ilene will be checking the account regularly. We’ll be accepting photos until 25 July.
August – Saturday, 6 August.
The Well-Read Dragons meet to discuss Wales on the Western Front, and to select books for the coming year. More details on the Dragon’s page.
Also in August
On 13 & 14 August we’ll have a table at the annual Irish Fair. Contact us here at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about helping us set up (the early evening on 12 August) or to be part of the meeting and greeting of folks who visit our table.